H2B Visa Work Permit

Are You Canadian And Want To Work In The USA?

H-2B visas are work permits available to applicants who are coming to the United States for temporary employment which is non-agricultural. They are for skilled and unskilled workers–unlike the H-1B Visa which is for highly skilled workers in “specialty occupations”.

There is a quota restriction of 66,000 H-2B Visa petitions during the fiscal year ending September 30, 2000.

Do You Qualify for an H-2B Visa?

The U.S. employer’s need for a foreign worker must be “temporary” in the sense that the employment should be for one year or less.

  • In most cases, the job offered is tied to a specific project that requires the services of a foreign employee and that can be completed within a finite time period.
  • Employment involving temporary project management and consulting positions and training positions are typical examples of H-2B jobs.
  • The most essential aspect of qualifying for an H-2B visa is show the INS that your prospective employment in the U.S is temporary or seasonal and is non-agricultural.
  • You also require a suitable background for the job that is offered.

H-2B status is valid for a maximum of three years.

After this three year period has expired, the foreign worker cannot seek to extend or change status, nor can he or she be readmitted to the U.S. under the H and L nonimmigrant classification unless such person has resided and been physically present outside the United States for the immediate prior six months.

The H-2B visa is issued in one year increments with discretionary one year extensions of stay permissible until the total three years of H-2B eligibility has been reached.

With Our Experience in US immigration, We Can Help You Choose The Most Suitable Route

Don’t take the chance of getting your H2B Visa Work Permit denied because you didn’t cross all your ‘T”s and dotted all your “I”s.  You have to have all the support documents necessary and have to fill out the application the way the US immigration officials like or the result may be months and months of delay that throw off your plans or in the worst case scenario, a denied application.

Niren & Associates’ 30 years of combined experience has helped thousands of people successfully obtain US Immigration Work Permits and Visas.

  • We have a proven track record in our New York office for handling US and Canadian visa cases and you could become one of our new success stories
  • We exclusively practice US and Canadian immigration, so our firm is equiped with the infrastructure that is customized for immigration cases
  • Our US immigration lawyers are fully licensed and ready to help you right now

Click Here to get a no-obligation assessment of your H2B Visa Work Permit needs with one of our leading US immigration lawyers

Your staff was very professional and efficient in her dealings with myself, and helped quickly clear confusion or questions! Was especially helpful in my interview questions. Gabriela

Temporary Labor Certification

Perhaps the most challenging aspect of the H-2B Visa process is what is known as Labor Certification. Basically, to qualify for an H-2B visa, you must satisfy the U.S government that there are no qualified Americans willing or able to hold the position offered by the U.S employer.

This involves filing applications to the Department of Labor (DOL) and to the INS. The DOL will require that the U.S. employer advertise for the position to American workers.

Only where the employer fails in finding a qualified U.S worker from its advertising efforts, will the temporary labor certification be approved and only then it will be possible for a successful H-2B application.

H-2B Visa Petition

Once the DOL approves the labor certification, the U.S employer is required to file an I-129 Petition for Non-Immigrant Worker with an INS Service Center with the jurisdiction over the place of employment.

After the INS has approved the Petition, the foreign worker can apply for the visa at a U.S Consulate in his or her home country.

If the foreign worker is already in the United States he or she may file in the U.S under certain conditions.